Thursday 27 August 2015

Anatomy study in depth

So I thought this time I will take a lot more time over the process of an anatomy study. There is a certain way that I have developed to draw the figure that i find works really well for me. I find that its more about thinking about what you are drawing when it comes to figure drawing, not just the final drawing.

so here it is, how my brain works when I do figure drawing most of the time.

The reference

Real life drawing is so much better but as its so much quicker and I just want to learn loads with lots of different models quickly I have been using this great you tube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/NewMastersAcademy

for this piece this was the reference I used

1)  I start by looking at the model and focusing on purely the pose and proportions, drawing simple lines, the blue lines are looking at what direction the pose is going in and things like the the gravity centre point  (if that's what its called) The black lines are the bones in a way and where the joints such as the knees and elbows are. I start with the direction of the shoulders, hips then the spine and go out from there.


2) The next step I take is adding in the muscle structure, as I can't see through this models skin and I don't know the ins and outs of the human body I make a good guess from muscles that I know are there and general shapes that make up the figure. Ideally this would help a lot more if I did know the full muscle structure of a human but that will come with time and lots of studying. 


3) Then I go onto putting the line in around the muscles as if you were tracing the outline of the model and using the muscle and shape structure as a base. 

4) next and nearly to the end its the fun bit of putting in the tonal values. Again having this base of bones and muscles (well something similar to) really helps figure out why the light and shadows make the different shapes on the figure. 

5) finally I add the finishing touches. 




I don't always go into depth this much with my figure drawing but this process does go through my head, even if it is very quick 30 second sketches. figure drawing is one of those things that I feel I will never master but i hope this helps those trying to improve there figure drawing.  




No comments:

Post a Comment